Re: NTT-ME was (Re: Metallic DSL in Tokyo)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Jack Morgan wrote:

> I called NTT-ME this morning. They said that I could have a server for
> their personal service (Y6,890) with one global IP, but no domain; and

I've been using this at home since July this year. It came with one
static, global IP address and an ADSL modem.

The speed they advertise is 512Kbps downstream, 224Kbps upstream for this
"personal" service I use. I usually get up to 40 - 50KB/s down at night,
which is not bad at all. I was told it may be slower during daytime, but
I'm never home during the day anyway. I have never felt anything was
"slow" since I started using it.

There isn't any filter that block incoming traffic to ports < 1024. I have
a few ports open on the gateway box but have never had problems reaching
them from outside. (Configuring them correctly is a different issue. A few
very skilled people helped me set things up and gave me tons of advice.
Thanks Chris. :) )

I can see that a lot of my neighbours (IP-address wise) are running Linux
and have various services enabled, ... http, ftp and even telnet(!!).

I think you could even use your own domain with it, despite what they say
on their web site. (I'm yet to figure out how to do this myself ... I just
know that many people do it.)

Overall, I think it's quite good for personal use and hobby servers.
(... except that my ADSL modem was not password protected initially. I
complained loudly for about two weeks and they pass protected it
eventually.)

ayako.kato@example.com