Re: German umlauts in japanese RedHat 6.2 don't work

    Gerhard> As a consequence I gave up the Japanese version and
    Gerhard> installed Mandrake 7.1, which claimes to have good
    Gerhard> international support

Mandrake is a loser in my experience.  They regularly inject new bugs
into the upstream package with their modifications; I'm not surprised
things don't work.  When they work they're smooth, I guess.

    Gerhard> GNU Emacs in Mandrake 7.1 has already working Japanese
    Gerhard> input support, but I don't know how to configure it for
    Gerhard> printing and in combination with Latex (CJK package? /
    Gerhard> Omega?).

I think GNU Emacs comes with AUC-TeX.  There should also be a CJK-mode.

    Gerhard> In XEmacs Japanese input doesn't work.

XEmacs can also use Canna or Wnn directly if they have configured it
that way; you don't have to use kinput2.  You do need to install the
Canna or Wnn package.  German Input you should be able to use quail.

If properly configured, XEmacs comes with AUC-TeX already set up.
This is not as easy as LyX but most of the most used commands come in
menu or menu-like format.  Eg, to start the document, you need to set
up the \documentstyle.  So you use C-c C-e (control-C, control-E)
which invokes a command that prompts for an environment, which
defaults to "document".  This automatically inserts the basic stuff
you need.  To change the face, use C-c C-f; if you make a mistake at
that point, it will give you a list of possible faces (eg, C-c C-f C-e
is emphasized/italic, C-c C-f C-b is bold, etc).

Pretty quick when you get used to it.

CJK-mode doesn't yet work well in XEmacs, unfortunately.

Basic TeX compilation is available through C-c C-c, which senses what
stage you've reached, and invokes TeX/LaTeX, xvdi, or the printer as
appropriate.