pcmcia + network

Somehow, through recompiling pcmcia-cs and
other maneuvers, I managed to upset a setting
somewhere. The symptoms: When I shutdown
pcmcia while the machine is telnetting or
has an nfs partition mounted, the system
complains and rmmod doesn't get rid of the
pcmcia modules.
I can avert this problem by shutting down
network (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop)
and then shutting down pcmcia. Getting
the network back up, I have to go through
the reverse process. Not a big problem,
but a nuisance.
I'm sure there must be a line missing
in one of the pcmcia related files, but