resolution for external monitor

Hi All.

I'm using a laptop with 800x600 screen with a nice big monitor. The
bad thing is I can't use a higher resolution under X. My X is
configured for the laptop monitor, and 1024x768 resolution is
discarded when X starts.

I tried to force X to use 1024x768 mode by making it the only
available in XF86Config but X refuses to start complaining that it
can't use this mode on the laptop screen.

(When I start X I have its image only on the laptop, then I have to
press LCD/CRT key to switch it to the external monitor)

Any suggestions/pointers are appreciated.

Thanks.

Viktor