RedHat Woes

    Shawn> Any ideas on how I can work through this mess?

What does fdisk -l /dev/hda say?  Does it look like your original
partition table?

If not, you may be able to create a new partition table that mimics
the old one and recover almost all of your data.  (I wouldn't try it
until you have more information about what happened.)  Finding out if
the partition table seems to make sense is the place to start though.

Also, I assume the kernel panics occur when you try to boot the new
kernel from the hard drive; it's not clear from your message, but I
don't see why a floppy-based kernel would oops.  Have you tried an old
kernel?  What exactly is the oops?  (You needn't copy the ASCII art
;-)