RE: Netscape Javascript Problem

    Jonathan> As far as I can tell there does not seem to be any logic
    Jonathan> (or it is broken) during the execution phase.

Well, lack of logic just seems logical[sic] to me; we _are_ talking
about Javascript, aren't we?

My guess from your description is that you are using EUC.  The doctor
says "Well, if that hurts, stop doing it!"

It is not possible for the interpreter to handle this robustly and
correctly (ie, portably to non-Japanese locales), because EUC assumes
a specific locale.  This is evil, no matter how many charset
parameters you include in Content-Type headers.  It would seem
Javascript does not understand locales.  ("Content-Type:
...;charset=iso-2022-jp" would have similar effect if Javascript did
understand locales.  Seems unlikely, but you might check.)

Use 7-bit ISO-2022, force designations of everything except the
initial ASCII.  This will be mildly inefficient (lots of redundant
escape sequences) but has some hope of working portably.

Or use Unicode.