Re: German umlauts in japanese RedHat 6.2 don't work

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

> With *terms, you _will_ have a problem.  rxvt may work the same as
> kterm, but kterm is the only reliable solution I've found

rxvt is not bad for Japanese, in some respects it works better than
kterm. For example, when displaying English man-pages in kterm

   ~$ LANG=C man man

I see a linefeed at all places where a line ends with a hyphen (-),
the new line starts behind the end of the previous line and then wraps
around at the border of the kterm window. Very ugly. In rxvt it looks
almost correct, the hyphens are invisible, but the formatting is OK.

[...]

> It may be possible to use the Unicode xterm, but you will have to cope
> with ugly fonts for sure, and I'm not use that Unicode xterms actually
> deal with double-width fonts properly yet.

The xterm which is part of the current XFree86 seems to treat
double-witdh fonts correctly. Robert Brady did recently add support
for this. Example texts containing many languages, including Japanese
and Korean display fine when I call it as follows:

    ~$ xterm -u8 -fn "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-iso10646-1"

This font also comes with recent versions of XFree86. The Japanese
portions of this fonts look reasonably good to mee, they seem to be
identical with

      -jis-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-150-75-75-c-160-jisx0208.1983-0

which has been part of X11 for a long time. The latin parts of this
unicode font are ugly though, I like

      -sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1

much better.

> Footnotes:
> [1]  I admit it, I still use pTeX.  It's very high on my list of
> priorities to replace.

Why? I have not yet used pTeX and your comment sounds like I shouldn't
try. What is the problem with pTeX?

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>