epson scanner / gimp

I am trying to get an Epson GT-8500 scanner
to work with GIMP. I have compiled ep_scan
and chmod u+s 'd the crucial file (ep_scan)
so that ordinary users can scan. It works.
It is possible to compile this with a Motif
interface, but I don't have Motif. So, I
tried
ln -s /usr/src/scan/ep_scan /home/username/.gimp/plug-ins/  , thinking
that I could this with GIMP, as one uses SANE.

But GIMP gave "wire_read: unexpected EOF (plug-in crashed?) "

Am I doing something wrong, or asking too much?

Thanks.