RE: Open Source

Ok, but here is a core difference between the work model of the typical open
source project and a commercial one - one only gets what developers decide
to do.  The Dist Open Src manager can try to influence the priorities and
direction but short of doing them him/herself cannot lock these in.

In that sense, I liken the distributed OpSrc model to the specific
commercial project I cited where one didn't have central control over what
features are being added globally.

I think broad goals can be met, but how do you get specific things done
short of doing them yourself in the typical Dist Open Src model?  The
specific priorities or goals have to be equally motivating to the developers
taking part in the project.

As much as some of us may dislike the commercial model.  Commercial
projects, though giving developers latitude, most often have management who
*decide* what developers will be doing at any given point in the project.