RE: Multimedia cap on linux (was [Group Etiquette])

    Jonathan> I guess what's needed is for someone to organize a
    Jonathan> comprehensive open-source multimedia project which tries
    Jonathan> to put the pieces together and fill in the gaps.

This is probably impossible, since many of the relevant technologies
are patented, despite the allegedly open standards.  The organizers of
the Comprehensive Open-Source Multimedia Implementation Consortium[tm][1]
would be donning sweatshirts with alternating black and white circles
concentric around a red disk.  Then dripping hematic material into the
shark tank.

I am afraid that until 100 GHz processing power is as cheap as a
Pentium II is today, or patent law is changed, open source multimedia
is going to be an activity for guerrillas and other freedom fighters.

_De_coding may be possible, it doesn't look like Unisys can enforce
its claims on decoding GIFs, only encoding them.

Viva la revolucion.

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, I do intend to charge royalties for the use of that name and
its acronym.  $500,000/year.  I'm sure you understand, Jonathan, I
have a daughter to educate and a wife who wants to travel..