managing multiple window managers

I have two PCs with linux installed, one with wmaker and the other one
with gnome. I share the home directory for both (which is in a different
server machine). When I installed linux in the new computer, it
overwrote the .xinitrc file of the home, and now I can't start gnome in
my old computer. What I want to know:

1) Is there a way to make .xinitrc able to work with both? (for example
that it recognizes the computer in which I am running startx, or if it's
possible to pass any parameter to tell it which window manager I want to
start). How should the format of .xinitrc would be like?
2) Which one is the command and parameters to start gnome? (I lost it
when my .xinitrc was overwritten)

Thanks in advance