Re: Linux/Mozilla related Short-Term Contract

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 05:52:37PM +0900, shimpei@example.com wrote:

> rxvt is one example. OK, it's the only example I remember offhand, but you
> only asked for one. :)

*laugh* rxvt counts, yes.  Go ahead, think of another ;)

(kterm does not count, it was forked from an ancient version of xterm)

> But really, a lot of the blame in bad l10n by Japanese patchers can be laid
> at the feet of the original programmers who conveniently assumed byte=char.
> It takes a lot of effort to fix that sort of an assumption.

Yep.

> Well, whatever. The end result is still sucky Japanese support on Linux that
> keeps rotting on the vine because the maintainer doesn't want to look at
> them.

_Not_ Linux-specific, I'm afraid.  Non-proprietary Japanese support on any UNIX
pretty much blows goats.  Blame can be laid at the feet of the maintainer, but
only partially, as has been previously discussed on this list.

-- Chris