File encryption

Im trying to store some of my files so that noone else can read them. I
can set the permissions for them, but isnt there a better way?

'zip' has an encryption option, but it doesnt work. Says 'encryption is
not supported' when I try it. The windoze zip does it pretty well, but
cant find much on linux. There was an option for encrypting whole
filesystems, but thats not very practical. It also requires a patch to
the kernel.

Is there a seperate package that I need to install for this?

A.Sajjad Zaidi