Samba, GS, and CJK

I have set up some print queues here that offer Ghostscript-filtered print
services to Windows machines via Samba.  For testing, I set the queues up to
use the Windows "Postscript Printer" driver.  It works.

The Ghostscript used by the queues has access to Japanese fonts, and under
Linux at least, Japanese text sent to them without embedded font data prints
just fine.

So far, so good.  But the Windows clients are not yet aware that these queues
can handle Japanese, so documents shipped to the test queue by our users are
bloated with font data.  Japanese documents of even modest size will bring the
system to a near standstill.

I'm sure there is a way to do this, since there *are* printers on the market
that have internal fonts.  If possible, I would like to find a general
solution, since the next step will be (I hope) to do the same thing with
fonts for Chinese and Korean.

Has anyone already fought this one out?

Cheers,
----