simple keyboard configuration

    A> I just upgraded to Gnome 1.2.something and now they both act as
    A> backspace. This can probably be done with xmodmap. I just dont
    A> know how.

Aaaaargghhhhhhh!  Pinheads, pinheads, everywhere!

At least it's not just Debian.

Learn to live with it; they'll just break it again in the next
version, whatever you do locally.  This has been going on for decades,
and no resolution is in sight.

You probably can fix it, but the right way to do it will depend on
exactly how they broke it.  Fixing it with xmodmap will probably break
many applications that use the keysyms.  You may also need to mess
with your terminfo definitions and stty settings.

Unless you really want to learn everything there is to know about
keyboard mapping (and that is a _lot_), I recommend you file a bug
report and let them fix it.