Re: ethner card problem

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 01:16:56PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Pay no attention to those men behind the curtain.

:-)

Listen to Steve, Uli, he is your friend here.

I'm just more familiar with direct builds of the kernel and PCMCIA because I
carried those habits with me when I moved over to Debian.

You can do the build with "make bzImage" plus futzing around with the PCMCIA
build, plus moving stuff where it belongs, plus editing /etc/lilo.conf, plus
running lilo.  It works reliably, but there is a lot of detail you need to
watch.

Steve was walking you through a method that requires less worry over detail
and fewer keystrokes.  That option didn't exist when I was "starting out",
and it is specific to Debian, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad
idea.  The key is to chose a reliable method (I'm willing to take Steve's
word for it that the Debian build method is reliable), learn the ropes for
it, and stick with it into the future.  Once you get things lined up neatly,
you'll find it saves you a lot of trouble and worry.

If you want someone to walk you through the build-with-make route, I'll be
happy to oblige.  Meanwhile, I'd better not confuse things by adding my
spices to the soup :-)

Cheers,
Frank Bennett