Re: hardware doctors!

> Christopher Sekiya wrote:
>
> > A sudden change in temperature can cause them to fail, depending on how long
> > they operated at the old temperature and how much humidity was in the air.
> >
> > -- Chris
>
> But dont they run best at relatively cool temperatures and dry environs? I had
> a 4GB SCA Quantum die on me some time back. Not sure of the exact cause, but
> the SS20 was running quite hot.

What Chris meant but didn't say is that a sudden drop in temperature in a
moist environment will cause water vapor to condense on your hard disk
interior. Getting water on hard disk mechanism is generally considered a bad
idea. This is separate from the overheating problem.

Yes, a cool, dry place is the best place to keep hard disks running.
You often don't have much choice, though, if you aren't running a dedicated
server in a dedicated machine room.

Shimpei.