Re: hardware doctors!

>> Every disk dies; the question is when.

I am so naive, I thought they live forever ...

>Sure.  I replace my drives once every eighteen months (on my personal
machines,
>that is -- production boxes get theirs replaced on a much more frequent
>schedule).  Backups are a given.
>
>My point is, I can generally trust IBM drives not to die before I replace
>them.  I cannot say the same for any other manufacturer.

I bought my IBM last year on the Akihabara tour, that was on October 23
1999, according to the tlug archive. That is less then 18 months ... The
good news is that I have a backup of the data, the bad news is I cannot find
the receipt for the disc ... Oh well, maybe it is time to buy a new computer
anyway, this one probably cannot handle drives bigger than 4 GB.

Uli