Slow browsing?

    Dennis>   "Yes, next time I'm browsing in Linux (still much slower
    Dennis> than in Windows, by the way)..."  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Dennis>   This makes no sense to me at all.  Could it be true?
    Dennis> And what would the reason be?

There is a technologically advanced country that is even more backward
than Japan, I'm afraid.  It's Britain.  Eh, Simon?

An English LUG whose ML I'm subscribed to has this discussion every
few weeks.  Basically it seems that almost all the ISPs in Britain
cannot handle PPP compression.  So one likely cause is that Linux
systems normally come configured with VJ header compression on, and
PPP is generally slower.

This is in addition to the MSIE v. Netscape explanation.