Re: ethner card problem

    >> One or more of the cards sharing the mfrid is broken.

    Ulrike> You mean the card IS broken? Or the configuration or
    Ulrike> wahtever it is called? I was just irritated because first
    Ulrike> it did show up as Frank described, and then not anymore

It is possible that it was broken from the start.  The conflict in mfr
ids should not happen; each mfr has its own id, then it can assign
product ids itself.  I find the 0000 field a bit suspicious; I suspect
these guys are depending on the ethernet address to identify the card.

Corega may be OK, and AT wrong.

The other possibility is that because of the ID mismatch, the card got
instructions it couldn't handle and is NOW broken.  :(  I don't think
that's all that likely, once you get the PCMCIA driver situation
sorted you should be OK.

    Ulrike> I was planning to spend more, around 6000 Yen, and was
    Ulrike> astonished that the only cards available were so cheap ...

It's a race to the bottom, I'm afraid.  If you're compatible with
Windows, you don't have to comply with any real standards.  Microsoft
aids and abets this process, because it helps them maintain their
monopoly.  The manufacturers take advantage of it, because it's
cheaper.  Windows users don't care, because they don't know enough to
know that even at today's ridiculously low prices they're being vastly
overcharged for stuff that is much lower quality than it needs to be.
"As long as I can get my work done...."

    >> You can always use old configs simply by copying them to
    >> .config in the top linux directory.

    Ulrike> I did not know where to look for the old config, thought
    Ulrike> there is none ... But I promise to try to refrain from
    Ulrike> posting when emotionally upset ...

It is definitely possible to shoot yourself in the foot in Unix by
deleting the only copy of a config file.  But the vendors and
developers have gotten much better about this.  There are emerging
semi-standards (put copies of all configs in /etc, except for the
kernel stuff which goes in /boot), although many apps ignore this (eg,
dpkg puts its information about the system in /var).

The kernel is probably the worst, but if you destroy a config ask
where you can get a copy.  Usually you'll be able to find a default
that gets you much closer to where you want to be.