Re: hardware doctors!

>Do u know what make are the drives?

The one I think is hda is Hewlett Packard, the other one (hdb) is IBM.

>You should be able to send it to the maker if its still under manufacturers warranty (usually around 3 years)

Which one, hda or hdb, or both? Both were making weird noises, but hdb is the one with access difficulties.

>or try to get a disk utility (usually only works in dos) form the maker to repair defects if its not too serious.

I will go for a hunt, or maybe better for a new harddrive?

>If you can boot to a shell you should be able to run e2fsck on the drive although im not sure how to check for bad blocks with it.

My third attempt to boot linux was partly successful, I could get a shell and tried e2fsck on hdb6, since /etc/fstab said among others:
/dev/hdb6   /            ext2    defaults    1 1
/dev/hdb1   /boot            ext2   defaults    1 2
/dev/hdb5   swap            swap   defaults    0 0

The result of "e2fsck hdb6" was:

e2fsck 1.15, 18-Jul-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open hdb6

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem *and not swap or ufs or something else(, then the superblock
   e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
I tried "e2fsck -b 8193 hdb6" and got the same error message again.

It is my first time to use e2fsck, and I don't know whether I used it correctly. Maybe I now better look for the receipt of the hdb harddrive, it is one year old, I think. The other one is several years old, and still working, apart from a little bit strange noises as well. Chris, you would recommend to replace both?

Uli