Re: hardware doctors!

shimpei@example.com (shimpei@example.com) wrote:

> So what *do* you recommend? I need a laptop hard disk on the double--my

Both for our personal use and for use in servers and workstations,
IBM is our brand of choice.  "I've never had one fail on me"
is junk testimony because of small samples (I have a 5 year
old WD Caviar that is the soul of reliability - YMMV), but we
have many IBM drives in service and are very happy with price,
performance, and reliability.

Plus, even if you have had a disk fail, that means nothing.
A certain percentage of every brand fails.  That's why there's an
MTBF spec.  Now, if everyone you know has had a disk from maker
X fail (especially if they were all recent failiures), that is
cause for caution (or concern, if you have one yourself).

Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K.                          http://www.exodus.co.jp/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702        Direct: +81 3-5334-1756