Re: hardware doctors!

Chris Sekiya wrote:
> Rule of thumb is to replace any drive that makes weird sounds.  Weird sounds,
> in conjunction with a spinning platter and an armature suspended micrometers
> from the platter, indicate impending doom.
>
> .... and WD drives are junk.  They lost my trust with the Caviar fiasco,
they've
> never given me any reason to reconsider ...

So what *do* you recommend? I need a laptop hard disk on the double--my
home laptop's drive just died this past weekend with what sounds like a stuck
mechanism. [1] What 2.5 inch hard disk can survive Linux for more than a year
and a half?

[1] Corollary to Murphy's law: the drive that dies is always the one you hadn't
backed up....