Laszlonian solution to the compiler error

Way back in June, I got the following advice from
Simon on TLUG.

> > Tony Laszlo (lists.tlug):
> > >gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> >
> > This just means that your computer has exploded.
> > http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11

This computer is still running, but things have gotten worse,
with various programs coring out, X crashing down occasionally,
etc. The page above notes several possible causes, including
a faulty cpu, fan and memory.

Well, I am about to give up on this machine, but thought
I would try switching to some old memory chips that I
had been using before I increased the memory. I noticed that
one of the clips holding down the bottom chip had broken, possibly
causing the two chips to come into contact. this is a notebook.
the chips are pancaked on top of one another horizontally. if
the bottom one should lose its anchor as it has, it pops up
on a 60 degree angle or so.
I switched back to the old chips (just in case the problem
is not cpu, fan but the newer chips which mysteriously
deteriorated over time) and looked around for some way to
anchor the bottom one. I settled on an old telephone card
(in case it matters, it has a picture of Fuji san on it)
which I folded in half and wedged between the two chips. It
didn't quite anchor the bottom chip, but at least it keeps
them from touching each other.
So, I am hoping that the problem was not cpu, fan or faulty
chip, but simply chips touching each other and getting very
hot and bothered about it.

My questions:

* if it works, can I patent this solution ? :) How about
GPL?
* will there be any fallout (melted telephone card
all over everything?)?
* any bets my computer won't make it to see Y2K+1?

Tony Laszlo
Jiyugaoka, Tokyo