Re: new webpage: rikai.com

Todd Rudick (trudick@example.com) wrote:

>   - GPL like in essence.
>   - won't let people sell the output without dealing with me (on the bison
> analogy, I think the GPL takes care of this already)
>   - unGPL like in the following sense: won't threaten rikai.com's ability to
> make up hosting costs with ads. (maybe disallow public free servers, or
> require the same ad scheme, I dunno and can use some advice).

A source-available restricted license that makes it free for personal
use but requires a paid license for any commercial use, including
placing paid banner ads on the page.  That's probably about the best
you could do for meeting that objective.  Catching people violating
it then enforcing the terms of the license on them is, as with any
license, your problem.

>   Can I tack something on to the GPL to accomplish the third point? I

I doubt it, since the main point of the GPL is that you can do
anything you want with the software except make it non-Free.  Even
if it is possible to mangle the GPL in such a way, I think doing so
is a bad idea.  It seems to much like trying to find ways to weaken
the GPL.  Make up a license of your own instead.

Considering how cheap virtual hosting is, I don't think I'd bother
with all the hassle of licensing and enforcement.  I'd put it under
the free license of my choice and ask for donations.

Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K.                          http://www.exodus.co.jp/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702        Direct: +81 3-5334-1756