Re: ppp, pmcia and isdn question

    >> Look in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and see if your secret for GOL is
    >> there.  It should look like
    >>
    >> lhost * password
    >>
    >> where lhost is the name that your machine calls itself (uname
    >> -n), and the password is the unencrypted password that your ISP
    >> gave you.

    US> There is no secret for the machine name, only for ulrike, see
    US> below.

My ISP is asahi-net.

Here is what my /etc/ppp/pap-secrets contain:

# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client        server       secret    IP addresses
hj4v-pvln       asahi-net    passwd
hj4v-pvln       ppp0         passwd

where hj4v-pvln is my user name, asahi-net - server name, ppp0 -
interface, and passwd - my password.

Maybe you have to add the second string for the interface. I remember
it didn't work without it. Or a wildcard in the place of server name
(as Stephen wrote) has the same effect?

    >> If that's there, check your ppp/options and peers/* files for
    >> something stupid like "refuse-pap".

    US> Nothing like this. No 'pap' or 'refuse' or 'refuse-pap' in any
    US> of the peers/* files. In ppp/options every line containing
    US> 'pap' is commented out:

/etc/ppp/options is empty on my machine.

Good luck.

Viktor