mouse does not work anymore using same xconfig after reinstall ???

    Ulrike> gpm works.

But rudely.

    Ulrike>  I copied my old XF86Config in, but still the mouse
    Ulrike> refuses to move. I also was not able to figure out the
    Ulrike> correct settings with XF86Setup. Some of the mouse
    Ulrike> protocols react to movements, but not quite in the desired
    Ulrike> way, finally these experiments hang up the computer.

There is a typical problem where X and GPM argue about who owns the
mouse, and GPM usually wins.

My preferred solution is to run GPM by hand when I'm using a VC, which
is rare for me.

What is supposed to work and mostly does is to point GPM at the mouse
(typically /dev/mouse or /dev/psaux), and to tell X that the mouse is
at /dev/gpmdata.  /dev/gpmdata is simply GPM echoing all mouse data as
is.  But this means that X will not work unless GPM is running AFAIK.