mouse does not work anymore using same xconfig after reinstall ???

I got a little distracted from my previous unsolved problems by the fact that I accidentally installed too many packages on my (old and small) notebook and ran out of space. I tried to solve this by removing the tasks I had installed previously, but this was not effective in the least (is there an elegent way of uninstalling all the programs related to a task in debian?)

So I thought it would be less of a hassle to do a reinstall. Well, I will skip the problems I had with that, but at last it worked, it seems, just that I cannot get the mouse to move anymore in X. gpm works. I copied my old XF86Config in, but still the mouse refuses to move. I also was not able to figure out the correct settings with XF86Setup. Some of the mouse protocols react to movements, but not quite in the desired way, finally these experiments hang up the computer.

It is a PS/2 mouse according to startup messages, it is a touchpad and used to work fine before the reinstall. Is this a mistake in installation or some sudden deterioriation of the hardware? Maybe it dislikes heat and humidity just as I? Or it is dying of old age after 3 years? It is a Fujitsu Biblio FMV-5120NA/W.

Also the cdrom sometimes gives out strange error messages, of which I know I should rather send the full text, but I does not happen all the time and next time it happens I will save it. I just mention this for my general hypothesis about hardware or weather problems. It cannot all be my fault, can it? (Oh, please ...)

Thanks for your help,

Uli