carriage returns

I use jvim and yudit for editing Japanese documents.
I am having trouble with long strings of Japanese
text which have no carriage returns. With Yudit,
one has to go chase the data for several kilometers
off to the right of the screen and with jvim, the
data shows up as incomprehensible "@@@@" until you
scroll down.

I think it might be better if I were to insert
carriage returns into such data, so that it would
be manageable. But I don't know how to do that and
suspect it might not be so easy due to the mixed
double-byte/single-byte text in Japanese documents.
Any hints on how this cat might best be skinned
would be most appreciated.

(I would like to stay with the apps I have now, if
possible).

Thanks.