Re: help needed with emacs. mule, euc-japan

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 05:29:43PM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> We have a query from a visiting Japanese professor about a
> emacs/mule/euc-japan problem. In summary, he concludes:
>
>  > I can now write and read Japanese on mule in Sable.  Yet two
>  > problems remain.  Could you give me some advice to solve them?
>  >
>  > i.  On mh in mule, in the window of 'inbox', Japanese
>  > cannot appear properly.  In the other windows in mh in mule,
>  > i. e., when I am writing or reading any particular mail, it is ok.
>  >
>  > ii. Just after logging in, at sable% prompt, when I enter the
>  > command 'mail', any japanese letter cannot be READ,
>  > while I can properly WRITE in 'mail' programme.
>
> Can anyone point us at someone who could follow this rather tortuous
> trail through emacs lisp, and attempt to resolve the problem?

I can point you at my Linux users group, who have the best collection of both
Emacs and Japanese hackers in one place. The second one isn't an Emacs issue
- I'm guessing it's something to do with support in the terminal emulator. It
may be related to the first. Is mule being run from X or console?

--
The Messiah will come.  There will be a resurrection of the dead -- all
the things that Jews believed in before they got so damn sophisticated.