Re: GNU-Linux vs Linux naming [was RE: LAM/MPI Parallel processing]

    Simon> This is what /bin/sync *should* look like, dammit:

Wow, that _is_ disgusting; the docs for GNU sync say that "sync does
nothing but exercise the kernel call" but the "author" managed to put
his name into the version string.  And the version string itself is
meaningless, since it clearly will get bumped on every fileutils
release.  (Not that sync needs a version string.)

Still, sync is an extreme case.  Programs should be self-documenting.
(And not by reading source, either.)

    Simon> I've certainly *heard* RMS talk about GNU Perl. I've no
    Simon> idea where on the web it can be found, but you can use a
    Simon> search engine as well as I can.

No, I'll just take your word for it.  The guy has this way of
realizing my worst nightmares about his self-destructiveness.  I'd
rather accept what you've said exactly as you've said it, and
preserve a few pitiful shreds of illusion.

    Simon> [1] I'd do it myself but I'm mainly offline due to the UK's
    Simon> extremely backwards Internet connectivity.

So you haven't been following the "Beavis is back" thread?