Re: user cgi-bin configuration

Uli,

ulrike@example.com wrote:

> > This is generally considered dangerous to do, as the CGI programs run under
> > the apache user account. It is also easy for a user to accidentally compromise
> > system security with their CGI program. Or it may be possible to affect other
> > users CGIs or associated files.
>
> I see. Actually I wanted to install CGIWrap since the script failed with
> "Premature end of script headers", the error logs did not contain any useful
> information, and the last time I had this problem someone recommended to run
> CGIWrap in debugging mode to see where the script fails. The documentation for
> CGIWrap instructions for setup for users said:
>
> "If you do not already have a cgi-bin directory set up, create one:
>
>      cd ~joe
>      mkdir public_html
>      mkdir public_html/cgi-bin
> "
>
> Not that I have installed CGIWrap succesfully yet ... I vaguely remember there
> was a perl module or something that helped with debugging, guess I have to go
> and read the idiots guide to Perl CGI-programming et al. ...
>
> > You might want to have a look at Apache's suEXEC support, which can run
> > the CGI under the account of the user who owns it.
>
> This seems to be already installed according to the error.log, but I was a
> little alarmed by:
>
> " ...that the Apache Group hopes to limit suEXEC installation only to those who
> are careful and determined enough to use it."
> (http://www.apache.org/docs/suexec.html)
>
> I am a fairly ignorant user, currently the only on my machine who can screw
> something up, and actually am spending too much time with setting up software
> instead of writing the programs I need for my research, but I guess I have no
> choice.

But that is one of my favorite forms of procrastination :-).

If you can trust the people who would be running the CGIs, you could just
use the standard CGI directory. That is easy enough to set up.
I typically run apache with user apache, group apache. Then you can use
group permissions to control access to the cgi-bin directory.

If you can't trust the people to write the CGIs properly (and behave properly),
then you probably need to run suEXEC. I haven't run it myself, though, so I
can't give you any pointers.

You might give some more details about your configuration.

> Uli

Regards,
Jake