Re: Beavis is back and I wanna show him a raw IP dump

Thanks to Chris, Scott, and Jonathan (so far) for all the advice.

    Scott> 	1) a ton of collisions on one or both of the two
    Scott> segments on either side of the router

Nope; there's only one side to the tests I'm running (I delete the
route for localnet).  I don't see why this would be more true going
host1 <--> router <--> host2 than going host1 <--> host2.  Ifconfig
output shows very few collisions (7 vs 180,000 packets), even after
FTPing the Mozilla source across that router.  Of course I get nearly
10 Mbps if I enable the localnet routes.

    Scott> 	2) faulty cabling somewhere

Very possible, the wiring is getting old (going on 8 years now).

	3) faulty router

Beavis says not.

    Scott> Tell Beavis to replace the router, and make sure there's
    Scott> switches on both sides of it, not hubs.

Not likely.  Where do you think I work, someplace where budgets are
for getting work done?  "Here, Mr. Veedle, work is the excuse for
getting budgets."

We're working on this, but I don't call the netadmins "Beavis" for no
reason.  It really truly looks like I'm going to have to prove that
it's their problem before I'll get any action.

    Scott> show him the ifconfig output with all of the errors.
    Scott> "netstat -i" helps,

What's in netstat -i that isn't in ifconfig?  It just looks more
compressed, to me.

Anyway, I've done this.  This doesn't convince anyone who matters,
although I sure think it should.  My local tech staff are sympathetic,
but they don't "own" the routers.  Apparently they have had a very bad
time of it trying to get the computer center to get their act
together, and really don't want to go through the hassle without a lot
of data.

So I would really like to get my hands on some broken packets....