Re: Beavis is back and I wanna show him a raw IP dump

Stephen J. Turnball (turnbull@example.com) wrote:

Stephen>     cs> Uh, duplex mismatch?
Stephen>
Stephen> But I thought that duplex was something that happens on modern fast
Stephen> twisted pair hubs---the router in question is on the far side of an
Stephen> AUI connector.

Exactly what is between you and the router?  Hubs, switches, the whole
deal.  Feel free to do an ASCII network diagram if you're of a mind to :-)
What brand of routers, switches, etc.?

I also haven't found any docs on specifically what ifconfig is referring
to in the frames column of the errors section, so I'm going to hazard
a guess that these were malformed or incomplete frames that were received
(frames being the protocol data unit used by ethernet).  I'm supposing
there isn't a horrendous amount of traffic on your side of the router
link.  I'm wondering if an interface isn't borked somewhere.

You said UDP doesn't work, but how about ICMP?  What does a traceroute
from you to the router look like?  Any really, really slow hops?
If you know the IP address of the router's exit port, traceroute
to that, too.  And then something at least one hop on the other
side of that router.

Can you post your ifconfig output?

Also, you mentioned it seems to be hosing packets from time to time, so
this is apparently an intermittent problem?  Is there any kind of regular
pattern to when it does it?

Jonathan