Re: RedHat 6.1 and Japanese

>>>>> "cs" == Christopher Sekiya <wileyc@example.com> writes:

    cs> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 05:04:39PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull
    cs> wrote:
    >> Put that way, does what you claim "Your choice of Linux distro
    >> famous for LANG=XYZ L10N goes here" is doing look so bad?

    cs> Yes, seeing as how they have positioned themselves as _the_
    cs> Asian distribution.

    cs> With the hype comes responsibility.

Sure.  And Craig, Rob, Hiro and I are making lots of $$$ off of a book
on Japanizing Linux.  I suppose we all share in the blame, since we
didn't fix those bugs but make money from the fact that people are
buying distributions that perpetuate them.

    >> YCOLinuxDFFLX=L can't afford to take responsibility for all of
    >> them.

    cs> This is becoming a replay of a conversation with Scott about
    cs> two years ago.

Oh, no, Brer Fox, don't try to throw _me_ in that briar patch.

    cs> If the distribution ships it, they're responsible for it.
    cs> Period.

They patch the security bugs up to their standards.  That may be too
low; I'm not qualified to say.

But they are _not_ responsible for Japanizing everything that hasn't
been Japanized yet.  They are not responsible for, uh, PHP 4.01.  If
that's what I think it is, I think they're bloody foolish for not
Japanizing it.  Irreponsible to their stockholders.  But that's not
what you meant.

They have to prioritize what they're doing.  L10N/I18N is a massive
undertaking.

    >> Canna V4?  6 months ago?  I'm all ears ;-)

    cs> *laugh*

gotcha.