Re: RedHat 6.1 and Japanese

>>>>> "cs" == Christopher Sekiya <wileyc@example.com> writes:

    cs> PackageX-v4 has been available for six months, so the
    cs> developers of packageX recommend that affected users upgrade
    cs> rather than patch up v3.

    cs> However ... packageX-v3 has been patched to handle Japanese,
    cs> and packageX-v4 hasn't.

In other words, the developers of packageX are hosing all their Asian
users, and maybe everybody who doesn't use ISO8859-1, consistently,
with _every_ version.  Eg, Pine.[1]

Put that way, does what you claim "Your choice of Linux distro famous
for LANG=XYZ L10N goes here" is doing look so bad?  Remember, there
are a lot of such packages about; YCOLinuxDFFLX=L can't afford to take
responsibility for all of them.

    cs> What would TL do?

Admittedly, what TL has done in the past isn't pretty.  That doesn't
mean they are completely parasitic.  Just historically not terribly
competent at anything but L10N.

    cs> [1] Canna patch being a case in point.

Canna V4?  6 months ago?  I'm all ears ;-)

Footnotes:
[1]  Which is rather surprising to me, given that Mark Crispin is
married to a nihonjin IIRC, not to mention being co-author of RFC 1468
:(