Re: RedHat 6.1 and Japanese

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> You could also just install a Japanese distro.  As long as you get
> English docs, which most of them do provide, there's almost nothing
> that a Japanese distro can break that can't be fixed with LANG=C.

ROFLMAO, Stephen... I don't know if I'd necessarily agree with this -
there was a LOT of stuff in TLJ that was broken even with "LANG=C" due to
some poorly written japanese patches for certain pieces of software.  Like
glibc, IIRC. :)

maybe it's gotten better recently, but... anyway, "LANG=C" *should* make
everything right.  But, some people localize for japanese instead of
internationalize, and if these packages are used, then you have issues.

Heck, I personally *caused* a bunch of these issues before Steve T. and
Chris and the rest of the 1998 TLUG folks set me straight :)