Re: esh

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 08:58:35PM +0900, Shimpei Yamashita wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 05:02:06PM +0900, Frank BENNETT wrote:

> esh? Never heard of it. Let's see...oh, it's a Unix shell that talks scheme.
> Ewww. Gross. I didn't need to see that.
>
> Anyway, there is no *graceful* way to do it, as far as I can tell. However,
> if you dispense with the "graceful" part, though, you can put the following
> hack in your ~/.eshrc ...

I spent a couple of days with esh, worked up a script that did what I
needed, and then discovered that:

  (1) the particular command I need to use to grab the output
      of external utilities does not terminate children properly,
      so if I use a loop, the process table rapidly clutters up
      with zombies.

  (2) The command line parser apparently cannot cope with commands
      like:  su (pop) -c "lpr -P(pop) (pop)", because the quotes
      force the stack operators to be interpreted as strings.

Wish I'd known that before I set down to work with the thing, but
the memory will fade into the past soon enough :-(

Many thanks, anyway, for taking time to suggest a solution.  I should
have written to the list this morning when I decided to give up the
chase.

Cheers,
----
-x80