Re: Web pages & Jp. text -THANKS ALL

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:12:54 +1000
David Thompson <davidt@example.com> wrote:

> > I hate to ask this, but the encoding in the browser is
> > set for Japanese auto-detect, right?  (Jonathan)
>
> Yes, auto-detect all along, that's why I thought those metatag
> perambulations were probably wasted time...but when you're desperate,
> and your experience with JP_OSs/JP_web-pages is limited .......
>
> ... but thanks also for the extra: s-jis / www.w3c.org etc. info.

You should put in the metatag anyway.  People like me switch between
Japanese Auto-detect and Western Encoding because netscape's
Japanese Auto-detect always uses Japanese fonts, and some web pages
don't display well with that (deja.com or yahoo.com for example.).  Not
to mention for people who browse more than 2 languages - autodetect
doesn't help that.  Putting in the metatag means less work for all of
your visitors and that's a good thing.

Just make sure the metatag is correct - if you specify S-JIS and your
document is actually in EUC, no user will be able to to view your
document.

Stephen