Web pages & Jp. text

Y.A. newbie question.

We have a local Debian 2.2 Server with a bunch of Macs & PCs linked
to it by ethernet.  The Linux box is not "Japanized" as there's no
present need to display Jp on it.

What has now arisen is a need for the Linux box to hold web pages
that contain Japanese text, and act as a web host for these pages.

Pages have been prepared with simple HTML containing Jp text.
These pages display correctly (locally) on a Mac using Netscape/JLK.

However, when the pages are uploaded to the server, and then rendered
back on the same Mac/Netscape/JLK combo, the Japanese text is largely
'garbage characters', and are unreadable.

I sort of suspect an Apache config. problem, but I simply don't know.

Anyone point us in the right direction on this one?

Cheers,
David
davidt@example.com