Re: [doughtym@example.com: ISDN question]

Christopher Sekiya (wileyc@example.com) wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from "Doughty, Matt" <doughtym@example.com> -----

> I have a bit of a quandry.  I plan on getting the new NTT ISDN flat-fee service

> I will lose some advantages that I'm not aware of at all(Speed, more NAT
> features, etc.).  My question is two-fold:

With IP Setsuzoku, speed will not be an issue (but if you wanted
speed, you probabably wouldn't be going with IP Setsuzoku in the
first place), so use whatever is cheapest and works OK with your
BSD box.

> 2. Aside from the builtin hub and support for multiple comunication devices
>    are there any significant features/fuctionality lost between the two
>    devices?

A router provides better throughput, usually, but since this is not a
high-speed link, I don't think you're losing anything.  If it was
a committed 128K rate, that would be different.

> 3. Make that three-fold :) are there any other compelling reasons to go with
>    the more expensive solution?

If you have any plans for a 128K ISDN line in the future, go
with a Yamamaa Net Volante (RTA-50/RTA-52).  You can use it for that,
and will get better performance than a TA hooked up to a computer.

Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K.                          http://www.exodus.co.jp/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702        Direct: +81 3-5334-1756