Re: Web browser and Japanese

s-luppescu@example.com writes:

> On 19-Jul-2000 Mike Fabian wrote:
> [snip]
> >>     Entering Japanese in Kterms, and Emacs works pretty good,
> >
> > That means cannaserver and kinput2 are running, otherwise you would
> > not be able to enter Japanese into your Kterm.
> >
> >>     Any info about this would be great.  I've looked around a bit, and
> >> Mozilla looks promising, but it seems to be still really beta.
> >
> > Japanese input works well in Mozilla too.
>
> I'm in the same boat, but since I don't have a JP localized system, I can't do
> input in netscape (kinput2 and canna work fine in emacs for me, too). I was
> excited to read how Stephen Turnbull had gotten Japanese input working in
> Mozilla M15, but I couldn't do it. Does anyone know how to get this working in
> a US English version of RedHat 6.2?

I have it working here with Mozilla M13 in an English version of
RedHat 6.0. It should work the same way with Mozilla M15 and RedHat
6.2 English.

Japanese input in Mozilla works with XIM (=X Input Method). To use
that, you should start your kinput2 with the '-xim' option, e.g.:

    kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna &

That should be all. You can switch between Japanese and English input
with 'Shift-Space'.

Mozilla doesn't seem to care neither for the value of $LANG nor
for the value of $XMODIFIERS, but better set them anyway, because
Japanese input in some other programs (e.g. rxvt) works only when
these are set:

    export LANG=ja_JP
    export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"

--