Re: Web browser and Japanese

"James Calver" <jcalver@example.com> writes:

>     I've seen screen shots of this so it must be possible.  What I'm
> looking for is a web browser that can handle Japanese I/O.  Right now I've
> got a pretty stock RH6.2J install, with the default language set to
> English.

This works "out of the box" in your RH6.2J. You just have to set the
LANG environment variable and possibly the XMODIFIERS environment
variable:

   export LANG=ja_JP
   export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
   netscape &

(The XMODIFIERS environment variable is not needed for Japanese input
into Kterm, but for some other programs like rxvt Japanese input works
only when XMODIFIERS is set like above. I'm not sure whether Netscape
cares about XMODIFIERS, but setting it doesn't hurt).

Now you should see a Netscape with Japanese menus and should be able
to input Japanese.  You can start the Japanese input with Shift-Space,
just as in Kterm.

>     Entering Japanese in Kterms, and Emacs works pretty good,

That means cannaserver and kinput2 are running, otherwise you would
not be able to enter Japanese into your Kterm.

>     Any info about this would be great.  I've looked around a bit, and
> Mozilla looks promising, but it seems to be still really beta.

Japanese input works well in Mozilla too.

--
Mike Fabian   <mike.fabian@example.com>