Re: tlug: Compact flash readers under Linux

Frank Bennett (bennett@example.com) wrote:

> I may be missing something here, but I use a PCMCIA jig that the CF card
> slots into.  Cardmgr recognizes it was a hard drive, and it mounts as an
> MS-DOS filesystem.

Thanks, Frank, this is what I wasn't sure about in that area.  I
eventually settled on the Nikon Coolpix 950 (super camera, just
great, but no USB), so I do want to get a cardreader.  I guess a
PCMCIA adapter is the way to go.  Does anybody have any particular ones
that they recommend, or do they all work with Linux?  I've seen a picture
of those things the CF card fits into, so all I have to do now is
get one of those and a PCMCIA adapter, and I'm all set.

> The particular card I have will not unmount properly, so to avoid crashes
> I reboot after shifting photos from the camera to the box.  But apart from

Do you think this is a problem with the compact flash itself, or with
the PCMCIA adapter?  What brand of PCMCIA adapter are you using (so
that I can avoid it  :-)

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K./Global Online Japan      http://www.exodus.co.jp/

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA