Re: tlug: Any use for a Remote Wake-Up system?

Yong-Ming P. Hua (yhua@example.com) wrote:

>   Oh, at our UNI, they set aside specific period during that time no power
> is used. So of couse by the time the power comes back, a few days elapse.
> Then Power gives supply to UPS and from UPS to the system. Then I want
> the system to boot. But the thing is before they supply power for another one
> year, they give a ten-second trial or fifteen. It is too short for the sytem to

Yeesh.  If you can't find a way to make things not power up until they've
had 60 seconds of good power, you may have to do it manually.  Blech.

> SURE thing!!!! ( Some idiot in our lab connected the Lazer Printer into UPS
> then facked the UPS. Things like that happen, yes...)

I know a place where one of the office staff plugged a vacuum cleaner into the
UPS and turned it on (not here; name removed to protect the guilty,
but some on this list know this story and who I'm talking about :-).
I believe the UPS was OK, but it did instantly take down every
machine connected to it.  I think that included their web
server at the time  :-P

--
Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K./Global Online Japan      http://www.gol.com/

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA