Re: tlug: Sound Card.

Adrian Havill (lists.tlug):
>If you work at a Co with a large infra:
>
>Connect the speakers at full volume, and program the servers to emit a fast
>shrieking/screaming sound if between 12am and 6am whenever the logs are
>rotated or an FTP download of more than 6 MB occurs.

Two more options, one old, one new:

   The funniest use of `ping' to date was described in January 1991 by
   Steve Hayman on the Usenet group comp.sys.next. He was trying to
   isolate a faulty cable segment on a TCP/IP Ethernet hooked up to a
   NeXT machine, and got tired of having to run back to his console after
   each cabling tweak to see if the ping packets were getting through. So
   he used the sound-recording feature on the NeXT, then wrote a script
   that repeatedly invoked ping(8), listened for an echo, and played back
   the recording on each returned packet. Result? A program that caused
   the machine to repeat, over and over, "Ping ... ping ... ping ..." as
   long as the network was up. He turned the volume to maximum, ferreted
   through the building with one ear cocked, and found a faulty tee
   connector in no time.

Second, someone has proposed, on a newsgroup far, far away, a system
monitor which purrs. In fact, the loudness of the purr is proportional to
load average. If the load average increases dramatically, it meowls, and
if things get really bad it starts hissing. I want one.

--
How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi i done" in a GUI?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces.)