Re: tlug: Any use for a Remote Wake-Up system?

Yong-Ming P. Hua (yhua@example.com) wrote:

> Ouch! I am using a normal UPS(BK PRO)....I meant that the Uni temporarily
> turns on Power to test. That is the problem I was talking about...

How long do they turn the power off for?  Depending on the size of your
UPS, you should be able to get through a reasonable outage.  If you
can't the UPS probably either doesn't have enough capacity, or has a
bad battery (which brings us back to my quip about a more reliable
UPS  ;-).  Of course, if the uni turns off the power for long periods
of time, you're probably stuck.  A UPS that will give you 30 - 60 minutes
of run time would be nice.  Maybe look at an APC 1400 or something like
that.  Big and heavy, but lots of juice.  APC software runs on Linux
these days, too, so the UPS can send a message to the APC daemon
letting it know it's almost out of power, and that will initiate an
orderly shut down of your system before the UPS drops out.

And of course, don't plug the monitor into the UPS :-)

Jonathan
Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA