Re: tlug: Sound Card.

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Adrian Havill wrote:

> Connect the speakers at full volume, and program the servers to emit a fast
> shrieking/screaming sound if between 12am and 6am whenever the logs are
> rotated or an FTP download of more than 6 MB occurs.

Actually this can be a very useful technique.  I used to work in an
installation with a less than well-maintained machine room full of
Sparcstations.  The machines weren't always labelled very well and there
were a *lot* of them.  Sometimes the only way to find a given machine was
to log in, "cat /vmunix > /dev/audio", and then roam the machine room
listening for the horrible noise.
--
Tod McQuillin

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA