Re: tlug: rpms

    Scott> On 5 Jun 2000, Simon Cozens wrote:

    >> Well, well. dpkg-repack. Debian looks a little better every
    >> day.

    Scott> yes, this is definitely something that RPM should allow.
    Scott> it would be easy, except for the fact that RPM doesn't
    Scott> package the .spec file in binary RPMs, only in the source
    Scott> RPM.  So I guess if you had the .src.rpm as a file, and you
    Scott> had the binary RPM installed, then you could repack it with
    Scott> some kind of script.  But then again, if you have the
    Scott> .src.rpm you can just --rebuild it anyway.

I seem to recall SOME TLUG meeting where SOMEbody I can't exactly name
pointed out that shell and Perl scripts (even though even then he
wasn't entirely a Perl fan) did the job, more transparently, with the
advantage that the scripts were left hanging around in
/var/lib/dpkg/info for the curious or the devious.  And that was like
3 years ago.

Evidently "devious" has just become joushiki with dpkg-repack.

I'm surprised the .spec file isn't in the binary RPMs.  I guess that
would be unwieldy, given Red Hat's habit of having patches that are
bigger than the original source.  (Which Debian is starting to do,
too. :( )

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA