Re: tlug: rpms

On 5 Jun 2000, Simon Cozens wrote:

> Thomas O'Dowd (lists.tlug):
> >I'm wondering is there a way to rebuild the rpms from my updated machine so
> >that I can avoid the download on my second machine. Could probably use some
> >command line trickiery like
> >
> >	rpm -q --list a-helix-pkg | cpio ...
> >
> >and then get the files onto my other machine, but was just wondering if there
> >is a way to pull back into disk rpm format a loaded rpm.
>
> Well, well. dpkg-repack. Debian looks a little better every day.

yes, this is definitely something that RPM should allow.  it would be
easy, except for the fact that RPM doesn't package the .spec file in
binary RPMs, only in the source RPM.  So I guess if you had the .src.rpm
as a file, and you had the binary RPM installed, then you could repack it
with some kind of script.  But then again, if you have the .src.rpm you
can just --rebuild it anyway.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA